Imagine you have to go to a very important meeting and you find out that your car isn’t working. You have no idea why it is the case, and you find out it’s your battery that is causing problems!
Your battery is the most important part of your car; however, it is a very neglected part of a car system. Normally, people don’t research the battery charger they’ll be investing in enough. They then have to suffer the repercussions of it. This normally includes a very short life and a poor overall performance.
However, a very easy solution to this is investing in a good battery charger from the get-go. This may take up some of your time doing research; however, trust us, it will be worth the results. Thus, we have for you a helpful guide to buying the best car battery charger. It includes all you need to know about them and some great recommendations.
To learn more about it, keep on reading!
There are plenty of battery chargers on the market; however, not all of them are worthy of investing in. Therefore, we have some great products for you to consider. These are highly reliable and have some wonderful features in store for you.
Let’s take a look at them:
- Top 8 Best Car Battery Charger In 2021 Reviews
- Best Car Battery Charger Buying Guide
Top 8 Best Car Battery Charger In 2021 Reviews
1 NOCO GENIUS5 Battery Charger
This is a great product for a lot of reasons. Firstly, it features a very small design that allows it to take up less space and be portable. Furthermore, the design is incredibly helpful and ergonomic.
Moreover, the unit is very versatile and fresh. It is designed to work for 6- and 12-Volt lead-acid automotive, marine and deep cycle batteries. Plus, the modern design allows the product to be able to detect sulfation and acid stratification. This is just so it can successfully restore the lost performance. It then enables your battery to be stronger and have an extended life.
Furthermore, this battery charger allows precision charging. This is because it features an integrated thermal sensor which is capable of detecting ambient temperature. This feature allows it to stop the battery from over charging in summers and under-charging in winters.
Another great feature it carries is its ability to be able to charge a dead battery as low as 1-volt. Plus, it can even use the all-new force mode. This mode allows you to control and manually charge dead batteries even down to zero volts.
With this product, you get a fully automated, worry-free, reliable, and durable battery charger.
- The compact design and ergonomic construction of this unit make it incredibly easy to use.
- It is compatible to work with all types of vehicles, including classic cars, boats, SUVs, ATVs, tractors, trucks, etc.
- It can even charge a dead battery, which is as low as 1-volt.
- This unit enables precision charging as it has a thermal sensor detecting ambient temperature.
- The product is completely automatic and versatile.
- This is designed for 6V and 12V lead-acid battery, marine, deep-cycle batter, etc.
- It can charge a battery as low as 1-V.
- Delivers up to 65% more power.
- It cannot perform an alternator voltage check.
2 Battery Tender Plus 12V
This unit is one of the best ones you can get your hands on due to multiple reasons. Firstly, it has a sturdy construction, which enables it to be highly reliable and long lasting. It has an amazing 10 years warranty, which extends its life greatly and makes it a great buy.
Furthermore, you don’t have to worry about safety when you’re using this product. It has built-in safety features which ensure user protection. It features reverse polarity protection, which flashes red and green light alternatively if the cables are incorrectly plugged in.
Plus, this unit is constructed with your convenience kept in mind as the product is incredibly user friendly. This unit comes with battery tender rings and alligator clips included. Moreover, it also has included a quick connect harness so it can reach hard to reach areas easily.
In addition, it is very effective and fast in charging your car’s battery. It works as fast as or even faster than some 3-amp chargers even though it itself is a 1.25-amp charger.
- This unit comes with battery tender ring terminals and alligator clips.
- It carries safety features such as reverse polarity protection, which ensures your safety.
- It comes with a quick connect harness that is able to reach hard to reach areas.
- This unit is fast and effective as well as it maintains the battery at proper storage voltage.
- It is highly reliable as it features a 10 years manufacturer’s warranty.
- It is a 1.25A battery charger.
- This includes battery tender terminals and alligator clips.
- It weighs about 2 pounds.
- It takes longer to charge than some of its counterparts.
3 Schumacher SC1325 Automatic Battery Charger
This unit is very well constructed and features a very modern design, which allows it to have some top-notch performance. The overall design is very easy to use as it features compact wheels and a retractable handle for ease. This allows the user to handle the product without any accidents.
Furthermore, safety is a very important aspect of battery chargers. This unit, fortunately, has an incredible safety mechanism. It features reverse hook-up protection. Moreover, the mechanism works if you accidentally clamp the cable at the wrong terminals of the battery.
Furthermore, it ensures that the charger doesn’t operate until it is isn’t connected correctly. Plus, the unit has automatic voltage detection for 6V and 12V batteries. It is microprocessor-controlled and has multi-stage charging, which is what enables precision, safety, and long battery life as well.
- This unit is capable of automatically detecting a voltage of 5 to 12 V batteries.
- It is micro processor controlled and has multi-stage charging, which enables precision, safety, and battery life.
- The overall design is incredibly convenient as it has compact wheels and a retractable handle.
- It is capable of providing a quick 40A boost and a 250A jumpstart.
- This unit features reverse hook-up protection, ensuring that it doesn’t operate if clamps aren’t connected in the right manner.
- A micro processor controls this unit.
- It features compact wheels and a retractable handle.
- It weighs about 29.9 pounds.
- It is on the higher end of the price spectrum.
- The instructional manual is somewhat misleading.
- Some buyers find assembling the unit a bit difficult.
4 STANLEY BC45BC
This unit is one of the most reliable and durable ones you can get your hands on. It features a great design which seems to be tailor-made for user convenience. The product has an LCD screen. It displays the charging status of the battery and carries easy to read icons too.
Moreover, is a fully automatic high-frequency charger that delivers a 3-stage charging that promises precision and speed. The product is also capable of switching from fast charge to top-off and to trickle engine.
Furthermore, it is built with consumer safety in mind. The product features reverse polarity protection, which protects one from mishaps in case the cables are incorrectly plugged in. Moreover, it has ETL certification for safety features and performance.
- It carries a battery reconditioning feature that helps extend battery life.
- This unit works for any AGM, marine, GEL, WET, or automotive 12V battery.
- It is fully automatic and features a three-stage battery charging that enables efficiency and precision.
- This unit offers safety features like reverse polarity protection.
- It carries a patented alternator check feature that keeps a check on whether the alternator is maintaining battery life.
- This is a 25-amp bench battery charger.
- It delivers 3-stage charging.
- It weighs about 8 ounces.
- It doesn’t work very well with older batteries.
- The percent charged indicator is analog, whereas some buyers want a digital display as that is easier to read.
- It can’t work for a 6V battery.
5 BLACK + DECKER BC6BDW
This unit is truly a great investment for multiple reasons. It has an IP67 rating, which means that the product is completely sealed. It is water proof and dust proof as well; thus, it can be much more handy to people under different conditions. The product is very durable. It is capable of withstanding direct water or rain exposure.Furthermore, it has multiple safety features.
The design has put consumer safety as its top-most priority clearly. It features built-in protection guards against over charging, short-circuiting, and reverse polarity; thus, it really is the safest product you can get your hands on.
Moreover, it is very modern and versatile as well as it has fully automatic charging. Plus, this product is compatible with any AGM, WEL, GEL, marine, and automotive 12V battery.
- This unit has an IP67 rating, which makes it completely sealed, water proof, and dust proof.
- It features built-in protection guards against overcharging, short-circuiting, and reverse polarity.
- It has low-AC voltage compensation that ensures maximum performance when used with extension cords.
- The product offers 2 ways to connect either by accessory plugs or by battery clamps.
- It allows fully automatic charging and is compatible with any AGM, WEL, GEL, marine or automotive 12V battery.
- The product is a 6-amp battery charger.
- It has an IP67 rating.
- This unit is ETL certified, as well.
- It doesn’t charge completely dead batteries.
- It doesn’t come with battery ring terminals.
- Some buyers complained that the cables were too short.
6 AMPEAK 2/10/25
If you’ve been looking for a versatile and energy-efficient model, perhaps this is for you. This unit is incredibly well-constructed with a very meticulously designed structure. This is why it is capable of working so well. Moreover, It is suitable to travel with, as it is lightweight and easy to use.
Furthermore, it works for all AGM, GEL, STD, and lead-acid 12V batteries, which enable the product to be versatile. Plus, it features a hassle-free 18-month warranty service as well that makes it highly reliable. The unit is capable of detecting the batter’s voltage, capacity and decides which charge rate is best for it.
- It is incredibly versatile as it works with all AGM, GEL, STD, lead-acid 12V batteries.
- It features an energy-saving start aid button that activates battery with insufficient capacity.
- This unit has a hassle-free 18-month warranty and a very helpful customer service.
- It easily detects the battery voltage and capacity to decide the best charge rate for it.
- It features an advanced reconditioning mode to reverse damaging effects.
- This unit is a fully automatic battery charger.
- It features an 18-month hassle-free warranty.
- This unit weighs about 5.25 pounds.
- It doesn’t work with a frozen or dead battery.
- It has plastic shroud and cheap clamps which are of questionable quality.
- The instructional manual is not easy to read.
7 Schumacher SC1305
This is an incredibly innovative and reliable product that’s also well-designed. This unit is completely automatic and is controlled by a micro processor, which ensures high functionality and performance. Plus, it is very conveniently built as well, which allows it to ensure ergonomic value. It is very lightweight, therefore, easy to travel with.
Furthermore, it has a float mode, which automatically maintains optimum battery charge. Plus, the multi-stage charging process ensures precision, safety, and battery life. A micro processor control the unit. It allows adjusting the amperage rate to charge and maintaining it automatically.
- It features multi-stage charging, which enables precision, safety, and longer battery life.
- This unit is microprocessor controlled, which allows the user to adjust and maintain the amperage rate automatically.
- It features reverse hook-up protection that helps prevent any damage to the battery and charger.
- This unit carries a float mode monitoring, which automatically maintains the optimum battery charge.
- It is incredibly convenient, lightweight, and easy to use.
- The unit features a 50A engine start and 10A boost mode.
- It is fully automatic and micro processor controlled.
- It is somewhat cheaply made and isn’t very sturdy.
- Some buyers find the cables to be pretty short.
- Some buyers say that it doesn’t work well with GEL type batteries.
8 BMK 12V Small Battery Charger
This unit perhaps has one of the most innovative designs when compared to its counter parts.
Plus, it is incredibly well constructed and carries multiple features that ensure high functionality. It is constructed to be incredibly sturdy and is built from superior quality materials. However, it isn’t heavy-duty at all; in fact, it is portable and lightweight.
Furthermore, it has an IP65 rating, which makes it water proof thus handy in different conditions. It carries multiple safety traits. These features ensure that the battery isn’t over charged, doesn’t short circuit, and prevents the aftermath of reverse polarity too. All of this makes it a great buy and is highly reliable.
- This product carries a diagnostic feature which is capable of diagnosing defective battery.
- It carries multiple safety features that protect from over charging, short circuit, and reverse polarity as well.
- It is fully automatic and features four-stage charging for increased precision and efficiency.
- Superior quality materials make the unit durable without being heavy and inconvenient.
- This unit has an IP65 rating, which makes it water proof as well.
- It carries battery condition diagnostics.
- This unit operates with a 4-stage automatic battery process.
- Some buyers find the cord to be too short.
- It doesn’t have light indicators to show charging progress.
- Some buyers find it to be a little too time-consuming.
Best Car Battery Charger Buying Guide
You may be wondering what exactly it is about a battery charger that makes it better than the rest? What should you look for in good quality, reliable battery charger? There are certain features about a product that makes it stand out from the rest.
Let’s take a look at them in-depth, so the buying process becomes easier for you:
Even though batteries look harmless, they are a cause of some unfortunate accidents if not handled properly. They contain a high amount of voltage, acid, and gasses. Moreover, you have to be extra careful if you have little knowledge of car batteries.
However, thankfully, car battery chargers are equipped with multiple safety features that ensure maximum safety to the consumer. A popular safety feature is reverse polarity protection. This comes into action if you accidentally connect the battery clamps to the wrong ends.
Furthermore, this action under normal circumstances can not only shock one but also result in a possible explosion. However, the reverse polarity protection feature makes you aware of the wrongly connected cables. Some models won’t allow current to run unless properly plugged in.
Prior to buying a charger, it is important to know its types. So, basically, there are three types of chargers available, and each has its own importance.
- Trickle chargers
Trickle chargers wok best for completely discharged batteries. Moreover, they will provide a very slow and steady current to your battery to bring it back to life. This process takes about 24 hrs.
However, they are operated manually, which means you will have to unplug it after it is done charging the battery. It might be over charged and potentially damaged otherwise.
- Solar Chargers
These chargers, as the name suggests, take energy from the sun to charge your battery. However, they are used for more maintenance purposes generally, as they offer very low amperage. Furthermore, these are great to use if you plan on going on a long drive or a camping trip.
- Fully Automatic Chargers
These types of chargers are the simplest to use. This is because you only have to plug it in and connect it to the right terminal of the battery. They feature modern technology that checks the charging process and improves battery performance.
- Reliable, Durable & Compatible
A car is more than just a mode of transport for most of us. It carries emotional value as well as costs a lot. Therefore, you wouldn’t want to invest in an unreliable battery charger for your car, as it could potentially damage it. This is why the battery charger you invest in should be from a well-known and reliable brand.
It is important that the product you invest in has a good warranty. This ensures that it turns out to be a long-term investment for you. Furthermore, one of the most important factors of buying a car battery charger is compatibility. You have to ensure that it is compatible with the kind of battery and vehicle you own.
Ease of Use
The product you invest in should be convenient for you. It’s construction and design should work for the situation you care to use it in. If you plan on traveling with it, invest in a charger that is small and portable. Meanwhile, if traveling is not on your list you could buy a heavy unit as well. Furthermore, the proper handling of the product is important, thus opt for a unit with a comfortable handle, etc. Plus, if you are someone who needs to charge more than one battery type, you need a flexible product.
Buying a car battery can be a difficult process as it requires research and time. However, the car battery you invest is important; thus, the extra research always pays off. This post aims to help you find a great car battery charger.
Hopefully, by the time you’ve reached this section of the post you’ll have a better understanding of battery chargers.
Moreover, don’t forget to make sure that the product you choose works for your vehicle. This is because compatibility is key and allows the product to work well under the situation you’ll be using it in. It will save you a lot of future hassles if you invest in a good car battery once.