High pile carpets are amazing and quite in demand. But most users who own one find it challenging to keep ‘em clean.
We all know that thicker the carpet, the easier it is for dust and dirt to get trapped in those cracks. This is why you need the best vacuum for high pile carpet.
In this review, we’ll have a look at some of the best vacuum cleaners for high pile carpets.
- What Is A High Pile Carpet?
- Features To Look For In A Vacuum For High Pile Carpets
- Best Vacuum For High Pile Carpet Comparison Table
- Top 10 Best Vacuum For High Pile Carpets To Buy In 2019 Reviews
- 1 Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 2 Dyson Ball Animal Vacuum For Soft Carpet
- 3 Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind
- 4 Oreck Swivel Axis Upright Vacuum
- 5 Maytag M1200 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- 6 Miele Complete Pure Suction Canister Vacuum
- 7 Kenmore 81714 Ultra Plush
- 8 Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Vacuum (NV370)
- 9 Oreck Commercial U2000R-1
- 10 Bissell Clean View Swivel Rewind
- Choosing The Best Vacuum For High Pile Carpet
What Is A High Pile Carpet?
High pile carpets tend to be thicker, plusher, and looser. If you’re wondering what type of carpet you have then all you have to do is focus on the height of your fabric.
If you’re buying a new carpet then you’d pretty much have its measurements if, however, you already have one then you might want to get the measuring tape out or do a feel test.
If the fabric is more than ½ an inch above the surface and your foot sinks in when you step on it then you definitely have a high pile carpet.
For such carpets, it is best that you buy the best vacuum as a traditional vacuum will not do a good job.
Features To Look For In A Vacuum For High Pile Carpets
Here are a few important features you’d want your vacuum to have.
Weight: Buy a lightweight vacuum so that you have no trouble in using it. Heavier vacuums tend to sink deeper in the carpets which can cause damage to the fabric. Plus, it can also be difficult to maneuver a heavy vacuum and long hours of use can result in pain and strain in the hand.
In addition to this, pay attention to the wheels. You will not have much of a problem in using a heavy unit if it has wheels.
HEPA Filters: HEPA stands for “high efficiency particulate air”. This is a highly effective feature as it indicates the unit is able to trap at least 99.97% of the particles.
This is one of the most important features to look for in your new vacuum regardless of the fact whether you’re buying it for high pile or low pile.
Suction: Suction control allows you to control and adjust the levels of suction to exactly what your carpet needs. This prevents your carpet pile from getting damaged and ensures good deep cleaning.
The unit should have strong suction power so that it is able to suck in all kinds of debris. Plus, being able to customize suction would allow you to use the unit in all situations without any trouble.
Cord: ∫If you are opting for a corded cleaner then make sure to choose one that has a long cord – 10 feet at least – so that you can clean the entire carpet without having to adjust the unit every few minutes.
Also, battery-operable units will not have such an issue.
Water: Some high pile carpet vacuum cleaners can also handle water. This is an important factor if you live with pets or kids as they can cause spillage which you will be able to take care of with your vacuum cleaner.
Adjustable Height: Most vacuums have an airflow problem with high pile carpets. Having a vacuum with adjustable heights solves this problem as it raises the level of the vacuum head allowing it to move more smoothly on the surface of the carpet.
Make sure to keep all these pointers in mind when buying a vacuum cleaner so that you can get the best vacuum for high pile carpet.
Best Vacuum For High Pile Carpet Comparison Table
Powerful Suction, Large wheels
|(4.4 / 5)|
Best For Pets
|(4.2 / 5)|
Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind
Under 19 lbs
5 Carpet height adjustment options
Best For Multi-Floor
|(3.7 / 5)|
Oreck Swivel Axis Upright Vacuum
Best Heavy Duty
|(3.6 / 5)|
Gentle enough for hardwood
|(3.5 / 5)|
6 Stage Variable Speed, Good for large homes.
|(4.4 / 5)|
Kenmore 81714 Ultra Plush
|(3.7 / 5)|
Large Canister, Swivel Control
|(4.3 / 5)|
Oreck Commercial U2000R-1
Automatic Floor Adjusting, Heavy
Powerful Suction, Large wheels
Best For Commercial Use
|(4.3 / 5)|
Bissell Clean View Swivel Rewind
Best Budget Option
|(3.8 / 5)|
Top 10 Best Vacuum For High Pile Carpets To Buy In 2019 Reviews
1 Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright Vacuum Cleaner
This Soniclean vacuum is specifically designed for smoother gliding through high pile carpets. It provides great suction for deeper and thorough cleaning of carpets.
This model comes with the patented HEPA Sonic Cleaning System. This system particularly is focused on producing more than 200 hundred vibrations in a second to get dust and dirt from the deepest crevices of the carpet.
Moreover, it also uses the now popular Adjustable Vent System. This system allows the unit to adjust to every type of carpet.
One thing you might want to pay close attention to is that even though this model works amazing for high pile carpets you might want to avoid using it on hardwood floors.
This is because the suction power and brushes may damage the floors.
It has large wheels and strong suction power which makes it perfect for high pile carpets as well as tiles. Due to its large wheels, it will not get stuck in high pile carpets.
- Soft nylon brush roll bristles.
- Adjustable vents.
- Large wheels for easy maneuvering.
- 200 Sonic vibrations in a second for effective suction of ground dirt.
- Soft nylon roller bristles for thorough cleaning of carpets without damage.
- Lightweight – only 10.5 pounds makes it easy to use.
- Large front wheels make it easier to move through high pile without getting stuck.
- 5-year motor warranty and 1-year parts warranty.
- Bags aren’t included with the vacuum and can be pricey.
- Some consumers complain about the motor issues but it comes with a five year warranty so you’re covered in case something goes wrong.
2 Dyson Ball Animal Vacuum For Soft Carpet
Dyson is really popular among its user and has gained a reputation for being user friendly with high pile carpets. Most users boast about its powerful suction.
This unit is specifically designed to target extra plush high pile carpets. It can get deep into those tiny spots where a traditional vacuum won’t be able to reach.
Another feature which sets this vacuum apart is its easy press option to empty the compartment feature. You will not have trouble in getting rid of the trash.
Moreover, this model is perfect for people with allergies and asthma as it comes with a HEPA certification.
- HEPA filter.
- Single press dirt bin release.
- Self adjusting cleaner head.
- Hose can reach all corners including under furniture.
- Has a self adjusting cleaner head to provide a thorough cleaning of all types of carpets including high pile.
- Dyson’s ball technology helps to ease the maneuvering and handling while using the vacuum.
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly.
- Lightweight – only weighs around 17 pounds.
- Good for multiple floor types.
- It comes with a 5 year warranty.
- Might not be suitable for pet hair.
If you are looking for a unit with strong suction power then Dyson Ball Animal Vacuum for Soft Carpet can be a good pick. It is quite easy to use thanks to the option to steer the unit, thus putting less pressure on the hand. Plus, it is said to have a life of 10 years – up to 12,800 hours
3 Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind
This is by far the best model by Hoover out there with tonnes of positive features.
This particular model works on all types of carpets and floors, making sure that it sweeps up all the strands of hair; having a furry pet won’t be a problem for this bad boy.
It is great for not only smaller but also bigger big homes. It comes with foldable handles that make it easier to store the unit. Moreover, the retractable cable cords make it easier to use the unit. You will not have to manually put in effort to open or wind the cord.
You will have no problem in using the device. It’s powerful and suitable for the plushest carpets. Plus, it is available in multiple colors giving you a large number of options to choose from.
- It weighs under 19 lbs.
- Retractable cord.
- Folding handle makes it easier to store.
- Has an air powered pet hand tool.
- 2-year warranty.
- Weighs under 19 pounds, which makes it easy to carry around and use.
- 5 carpet height adjustment options.
- Can be used on various floors and carpeting.
- Comes with a 25 feet long cord that retracts on the push of a button.
- Perfect even if you have pets.
- Emptying the canister can be difficult.
- Louder than other Hoover models.
Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind can be a good option for users looking for an affordable vacuum for high pile carpets.
4 Oreck Swivel Axis Upright Vacuum
Oreck Swivel offers amazing maneuverability. If you’re looking for something fancy with a lot of attachments then this beauty will not disappoint you. It’s a high-tech unit that’s suitable for users who enjoy the latest technology.
It’s easy to use and move around the carpet. However, this model requires bags some attachments that have to be purchased separately.
- HEPA filters.
- Safe for plush carpets as well as hard floors.
- Multiple speed option.
- Comes with three bags.
- Big cleaning head.
- It comes with headlights,
- It features swivel steering that makes it easier to use.
- It has dual speed technology which can be adjusted according to the length of the pile.
- HEPA filtration.
- Doesn’t include attachments, hence if you need them you’d have to buy them separately.
- It can get clogged with hair.
Oreck Swivel Axis Upright Vacuum comes with a 30-foot cable that makes it very easy to use around the house. You can use it in even the darkest of corners thanks to the headlights.
5 Maytag M1200 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Even though this model isn’t the best when it comes to looks, it does get the job done. It’s not flashy but is quite effective. One of its highlights is six adjustable height options. Plus, the cord is quite long as well.
Despite its weight (21 pounds) only, it’s fairly easy to move around on thick carpets. It will not get stuck, hence you will not have to put in a lot of effort in handling it.
- Has an LED head.
- USA made.
- 35 feet long cord.
- Dual intake system.
- 6 carpet height adjustable positions.
- Its motors make cleaning carpets and wooden floors easier.
- Has a 35-foot cord which means that you will probably not need an extension cord even for larger rooms.
- Six adjustable height positions for different pile lengths.
- HEPA and charcoal filtration helps get rid of allergens and odors.
- It’s a bit heavier compared to other models, weighing around 21 pounds.
- Replacement parts are difficult to find.
Maytag M1200 Upright Vacuum Cleaner can be a good option for users looking for a unit that’s suitable for a variety of floor types. However, it may not be a good choice for seniors as it can be a bit difficult to handle due to its heavyweight.
6 Miele Complete Pure Suction Canister Vacuum
This is a lightweight vacuum with very powerful suction suitable for high pile carpets.
Unlike other similar vacuums that are good only for carpets, this model performs well on all sorts of flooring. It is a canister vacuum which makes the head easy to maneuver because it’s separate from the canister, however the canister is a little heavy.
It has variable speed and height making it suitable for a variety of users. Even though this vacuum performs well on most carpets, it can be a bit hard to push on pile that’s too thick – over 1 inch..
- Cleaning radius of 29.5 fet.
- AirClean sealed system.
- Vortex motor.
- Combination floorhead.
- Has variable suction control.
- 7-year warranty.
- Wheels can swivel 360 degrees.
- Powerful suction because of the unique vortex motor.
- 6 stage variable motor speed.
- The fabric may get caught in the suction head making it difficult to move around.
Miele Complete Pure Suction Canister Vacuum might not be the most popular option out there but it can still be a good choice if you are looking for the best vacuum for high pile carpets. Its long warranty can be a good reason to opt for this beauty.
7 Kenmore 81714 Ultra Plush
This model is specifically designed for high pile carpets hence you can’t go wrong with this one.
Even though the suction is pretty strong it is still really easy to move around the carpet even those with fabric length over 1.5 inches.
It is a canister vacuum with a great canister design, however, the hose, for the most part, is not very flexible. This makes it difficult to reach corners.
This device offers a HEPA filter which is a great option to have if you’re allergic to dust, etc. It will face no issues in sucking debris including larger particles.
- 20% more air than other options.
- HEPA filter.
- Special attachment for pet hair.
- Made for high pile carpets.
- It doesn’t make too much noise.
- Its 26 feet long cord makes it easier to move around.
- Suitable for not only carpets but other flooring options as well.
- 2 motors for more power.
- The Stair Grip feature makes it easy to use on stairs.
- The bags need to be bought separately.
- The hose isn’t very flexible which makes it hard to use around the corner.
Kenmore 81714 Ultra Plush is popular for its unique design that prevents hair from tangling around the edges. This beauty comes from a brand that’s known to be innovative
Shark Navigator Lift Away is really popular among users because is affordable, sturdy, and versatile.
It comes equipped with a unique dual feature which allows you to switch between two options: high pile carpets and bare hardwood. You will not have to change specific settings to get the job done.
It has a large size canister and is perfect for people want to wait before emptying the unit. Moreover, it’s fairly easy to empty the canister.
The unit is designed to reach all the corners and hard to reach areas like under the furniture. With this beauty by your side, you will not have any corner left untidy.
- Lift-Away Press turns it into a handheld unit.
- HEPA filtration system and Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology.
- Swivel steering.
- Large canister.
- Comes with a variety of accessories including a dusting brush, a pet power brush, and a 5.5″ crevice tool.
- 25 feet cord length.
- 5-year limited warranty.
- Easy disposal of dirt from the canister.
- Works well with plush carpets as well as a hardwood floor.
- Extra-large canister holds more dirt than regular vacuums.
- Swivel control makes it perfect for rooms with loads of furniture.
- You cannot change suction settings.
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Vacuum (NV370) is one of the most popular vacuums for high pile carpet. It has some cool features to offer including ease of use.
9 Oreck Commercial U2000R-1
Oreck commercial U2000R-1 is a powerful vacuum designed to work on all types of flooring.
It has powerful suction that will surely take the dust out of every corner of the house and won’t leave a strand of hair behind.
One of its strengths is its 40 feet long cord. Work from room to room without worrying about plugging it in a different socket in every room.
- Helping hand handle for people with injuries or health issues.
- 12 inch cleaning circle.
- High speed brush rolls are really powerful.
- Equipped with automatic floor adjustment.
- Perfect for seniors. It has a handle specifically designed for people with arthritis and other ailments so that they can comfortably use it.
- Comes with.
- With a twelve inch cleaning area, you can now clean bigger rooms faster.
- Super strong suction is perfect for cleaning the deep spots of high plush carpets.
- Can be hard to reach some places.
- No retractable cord.
Oreck Commercial U2000R-1 can be a good pick for users looking for a light vacuum. It will not strain your hand no matter how many hours you use it for.
10 Bissell Clean View Swivel Rewind
This bad boy is among the most affordable vacuums out there. This particular vacuum is suitable for medium pile carpets but can handle wooden flooring as well.
It can compete with products twice its price. This particular models is great especially if you have pets. It gets deep in the fabric and pulls out stuck hair as well, something other units may not be able to do.
It works with everything and is not particularly made for one type of flooring. It is the best option to have if you have different flooring materials all under one same roof.
- Retractable 27-foot cord.
- Edge-to-Edge Cleaning
- Multi-cyclonic suction system.
- 8 Amps power rating.
- Multi-Level filtration with a washable filter.
- Includes turbo brush tools particularly designed for upholstery and stairs.
- 3-year limited warranty.
- The cord does not get tangled.
- Lightweight hence easy to move around.
- Great option for hair and other hard to reach debris.
- The dirt bin is quite easy to empty.
- It doesn’t have a HEPA filter
Bissell Clean view Swivel Rewind is a great tool thanks to the additional tools it comes with including a TurboBrush tool, dusting brush, crevice tool, and an extension wand.